Stage 1: Product development
Each product is developed by chemistry experts. Hundreds of possible variations are often tested.
Stage 2: Initial testing
Then to Lab testing. This is where the theoretical meets the technical.
Stage 3: Simulated testing process
Following Lab testing, each product is run through a simulated testing to build on the Lab results. Both scientists and cyclists play with each product, subjecting them to different conditions to iron out any issues.
Stage 4: Redevelopment tuning
Back in the chemists’ lab, the products are assessed on the results of stage 2 & 3 to see what can be improved.
Stage 5: Live testing
Professionals in the biking field are now brought in to test each new product to destruction. Sometimes this may lead to further development where the product will move back to stage 4, as did No.4 Tuned Suspension Lubricant developed with TF Tuned.
Stage 6: FSEP
R & D carry out a Final Sample Evaluation Programme (FSEP) testing through a Bike Biz group of UK shops - 24 at present. Products are evaluated by a number of mechanics or owners of independent bike businesses and their reviews are published in Bike Biz exclusively to give an unbiased review to retailers.
· Road Tyre Sealant – Wickens & Soderstrom No.9 Road should prove the best road specific sealant ever produced. We are testing completely new ways of building a tyre sealant, from the types of expertise to the ingredients used. The product is currently in Stage 3 and will be progressing to live testing with the professionals in the coming months. Release date: LATE 2016.
· Mountain Tyre Sealant – Wickens & Soderstrom No.9 Mountain should represent an improvement in high-speed tyre sealant performance. We are in stage 5 with this one and around 16 bikes around the world (query copy – ‘world’?) are currently running this mixture, we are expecting the stage 5 feedback in July. Release date: MID 2016.
· Lubricant – Wickens & Soderstrom CN project should prove the best lubricant ever produced and will probably be the most expensive. This is now in stage 2 and lots of coffee is being drunk trying to decide what our next stage will be - the opinion is leaning towards jumping to stage 5 live trials in September. Release date: unknown.
· Tuned Suspension Grease – Wickens & Soderstrom No.2 Tuned is suspension specific grease. R & D are continuing to test three possible versions. We are deep into this - from performance standards to product colour. Every part of this project is throwing up new challenges. Release date: unknown.
· Mineral brake fluid – Wickens & Soderstrom No.7 is a racing specific high temperature stable synthetic oil. R & D are continuing to test. We are deep into this - from performance standards to product colour. Every part of this project is throwing up new challenges. Release date: unknown.
· Tuned Suspension Fluid – Wickens & Soderstrom No.2 Tuned is suspension specific damper fluid in 4 variants. R & D are continuing to test, the next stage is to ensure we can reduce the cost of manufacture, as with the CN project and some of the experimental grease and pedal lubricant projects this product is currently costing more than the bike!. Release date: unknown.
As products near completion they will appear in the product section of the website Here